Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Home at Last!



Isn't that adorable?? Our cute neighbor made this banner and it was hanging in our house when we got home. I think I'll keep it there forever. (Thanks so much Laura!)




My apologies to those who've been waiting to see if we made it home safely. Yes, we did and we're just trying to recover from jet lag and continuing lack of sleep. I'm typing with one hand as I hold my sleeping baby in the other. This "spicy" little girl packs a big punch. She screams whenever I try to set her down - even when she is sound asleep. I recognize this is a good thing for attachment purposes - just not for laundry, dishes, and anything else purposes.

The flight was, thankfully, pretty uneventful. We were fortunate enough to get the bulkhead seat with this cool bassinette thing they screwed into the wall in front of our seats. Abby was happy playing in there while we ate and she even slept in there. She was so tired and cried for at least 1/2 hr and then Shawn put her in there and closed the top, as I protested loudly, and she instantly closed her eyes and went to sleep. I couldn't believe it. I had to keep checking if she was breathing. She only slept 3 1/2 hrs but it was better than nothing.

Our kids were over-the-moon excited when they finally saw us coming. They were waiting on the corner jumping up and down - I'll try and post the video. The photo isn't great - (I'm plannning to take more when I come out of this sleep-deprived brain fog.) They were so excited after almost 3 yrs of waiting I think they didn't believe me anymore. They crowded around her all night and they still can't get enough of her. She likes them as long as I'm holding her but she's not too excited about them holding her yet. I keep telling them she'll get there. She is starting to smile more and more and even laughs a bit..

I took her to the Dr. yesterday and she weighed 14 lbs. She is eating well so I imagine she'll pack on some weight quickly. I'll post more photos with the kids in the next few days. Thanks again for following along and for the many many kind words.

8 comments:

Carol said...

Yeah!!! Thanks for putting up the pictures. It was so good to see her with all of your kids, but I couldn't help but notice your sons' arms. What happened?!? Also, when are going to take her to the temple? I am so excited to take our little guy, that I can hardly stand it.
Also, I want you to know that I will pray for you during this transition time. This stage has been so hard for my friends who have adopted from China. You wait and want that baby soooo badly and then they cling to you once you are home. I know that it must be very draining emotionally, so you are in my prayers.
Hooray for Abby and her forever family!!!

Melissa said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound! Let us know when you are up for visitors we would love to come and meet Abby and see you guys!

Kristy said...

I am so excited! That is just terrific that after all the waiting, she's finally home with her family. Looking forward to the new adventures!

Jill said...

Thanks for the detailed descriptions and photos - I have loved following your adventure. We wish you the best during the transition time. You're amazing and Abby is ADORABLE!

MacMui Mom said...

Thanks for allowing us to follow your journey. I am so glad you amde it home safely. A huge conograts to all.

Lisa Romish and family

The Gang's Momma! said...

I found your blog when I googled dao orphanage. We are getting ready to accept a referral of a sn child from dao, about 2.5 years old. I would love to connect with you to talk about the process, where to look for more info on the orphanage and maybe even see if you have any pics that might have our little one in backgrounds???? I know, that's a lot to ask, but I'm sure you remember being where I am right now! We made our decision tonight and our agency doesn't open till 8:30!!!!!!!!!! Sorry if this is rambling and weird, chalk it up to adrenaline!

Suzin said...

Hi! I just found you when I googles my new little girls name, Yong Xaio Mei. She is from the same orphange as yours. I would love to correspond with you. It is amazing to think that you may have seen my little girl when you got yours. I have so many questions to ask about the orphange, travel etc. You can email me at steltzs@christina.k12.de.us I hope to hear from you.

DeAnn said...

Kelleen,
How fun to find your sites! Congrats on adopting Abby. She looks adorable. It is fun to catch up on your family. Let us know if you are ever up to a visit--we drive through on occasion and it would be fun to stop and say hi. Sorry about the broken arms. We can empathize! Hope he's doing better.