Monday, May 5, 2008

Hot Pot Dinner



We went to dinner at a place that Gayle had marked in the travel book - we couldn't communicate enough with the driver to find out what we were in for so we just went on in. We were the only English-speaking people in the place and I think they were laughing at us.
The waiter kept trying to get us to order some soup and we didn't want any soup but we finally just picked one. They actually bring you the soup and put it on a pot over a flame and then you order other things to cook in the pot - like the meat - thus the insistence that we order soup. I had to take a photo of the menu because some of the choices were bone marrow, ox stomach, lots of mutton parts, and in the bottom left of the photo - sheep genitals! I'm not an adventurous eater when it comes to different animals and their various and sundry parts. Yuck! We opted for some beef and spinach and then you put it in little sauce cup and we chose sesame paste which was good. I'm sure the waiters and waitresses found it humorous to have to come up and show us how it worked.
Finally, for the boys, we've had this conversation about split pants. I had heard that many Chinese children wear split pants. It makes it easier for potty training I suppose - or just general pottying since I think they even do it with little babies. However, this is the only child I've seen with split pants, well and one other after this one. I guess it isn't universal -at least not anymore. For the record, we've actually seen very few children out and about.

No comments: