Sunday, July 20, 2008

2 months...


Well, I'm not sure if anyone is reading this blog anymore since I pretty much fell off of the edge of the blogging world for awhile. I have been meaning to post but when I go to blogger the log-in page is all in Chinese characters. It did that when we went to China and has never changed back. So that has delayed me a bit trying to figure out how to get into this blog again.

Abby has been home for just over 2 months now. It has been an interesting transition. First, I must say the kids have been amazing. They all adore Abby and have been completely loving and supportive to her as she tries to accept and attach to our family. They look forward to seeing her each morning and Hannah can hardly stand to leave her alone long enough to take a nap. Today Hannah asked why we only have one baby and can we get just 3 more??

My job has been trying to help Abby "attach". My dear friend Cyndie wrote a very insightful post about attachment - if you want to understand it better read this - www.dobsondaily.blogspot.com
read the post titled "Blogging is down, attachment is up" July 17. You can also read her following post for a sweet attachment experience. Really you should read her whole blog about her experience in China - she had some incredible experiences and shares some insights that are so touching. (I need to figure out how to do links right - can anyone help me with that?)

As for us, we're still attaching. Abby actually is probably attached to me - but she is insecure. She's a bit anxious at times and so we're still working - fortunately for me, my friends Cyndie and Melissa have coached me over the phone and we'll be spending some time with them soon to figure out how we can help Abby feel more secure and safe.

I've had visions of cute photos with my girls in matching dresses - but as you can see above - Abby is totally NOT going for it. If I am in the room and not holding her she is TICKED! Actually things have improved in the last 2 weeks so maybe soon I'll get my cute photo. She is liking the kids and Shawn enough to allow them to hold her for short periods of time. I'll post more soon about summer fun with all of the kids.

8 comments:

Carol said...

So good to hear from you again! Hang in there on the attachment thing. I know that with your love and persistence it will get better.

To do a link...
Highlight the word you want linked,
Push the green bubble looking button that is at the top by the Bold, Italics, and Insert Picture area.
Then type in the address you want the word(s) linked to.

Hope this helps.

All our love,
Carol

Pete and Mare said...

Thank you so much for the update on Abby and your cadid view on it.
Abby and Hanna are so adorable together! Hanna has a heart of gold to be thinking about 3 more. She is too cute and a sweet big sister.

I am so happy to see that Abby is attaching to you so well. I know these first months are so important. You and Shawn are such wonderful parents and Abby will be forever blessed because of it.

At our agency class in Orem health and attachment were the two main concerns. China is raved about and everyone says children from china attach the best in the long run. Whew! You guys are in our prayers. Please let us know if you need anything. Thank you again for the update. I look very forward to reading the blog post that you recomended. Thank you.

Jill said...

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you and your family and wondering how things are going. As with anything worthwhile, it sounds like this will take time and patience. Hang in there! Abby is luck to be in your family!

Rondel said...

Kelleen,

I sure do want to meet that cute little girl! She is so lucky to have such a great and fun family! I just love when your boys come to the office to help me out, they are so funny. I need to go through Andie's clothes and send them home with Shawn. Hope to see you guys and your new addition soon. Take care.

Rondel

The Brown Family said...

Kelleen,

I still check in periodically, so keep posting! This is the most demanding, time consuming, attaching part...but things do normalize eventually! I can't beleive that it has already been 2 months. Time flies when you are bonding!

Love
Kim

Jennifer said...

I have been faithfully checking to see if you have blogged. So good to hear from you. Hope you are hanging in there.

Melis said...

It was so great to see you a few weeks ago!! And yes, I keep checking the blog for updates...so keep them coming when you can.

I thought Abby was doing great when we saw you. I'm sure with your all your love she will continue to bond and attach to the whole family! Best of luck and all my love!

Melissa(Lytle)

Amylee said...

Wow, Kelleen! What an adventure. I can tell from church that Abby is already getting more secure with Shawn. It seems like he is always the one walking the halls with Abby as I walk the halls with Will. What a challenge adoption must be. I can't even imagine the blessings.