Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dr. Visit & Pearl River Cruise





I've gotten a little behind since this area is so accessible and easy to walk around we've spent much less time in the hotel room. We're heading out for our last shopping afternoon but here is a quick entry.

Abby's Dr. visit when we got here on Tuesday - I think I wrote a little about it but it was pretty quick - maybe 10 minutes. She was rather angry at the nurse who looked in her ears.

On Wednesday evening we went on a Pearl River Cruise. It was a river ferry, dinner cruise. The two bottom levels were filled with nicely set tables (ok - nice linens wtih paper plates) and then there was an upper level to wander around and see the surrounding area.

We sat with our new friends - Tom and Amy from Maryland - who used the same agency as us to adopt their little girl. She was from a different province so we just met them here in Guangzhou. It was so much fun to hang out with them for a couple of days - I had been feeling a little ripped off that we weren't traveling with any other families in Changsha and now I know I was right. Although I suppose it might not have been as fun with just any family we had a great time with them and we laughed a lot.

The photo I attached is everyone racing for the buffet. The only thing I liked on the whole table was tofu in something and some cake that tasted Sara Lee-ish. There aren't many social rules about waiting your turn or standing in line here - it's kind of a survival of the fittest in traffic, airplanes, elevators, etc. Actually when we landed here and the airplane stopped there were people who went running to the front to get out first - we just chuckled. This dinner was kind of like that. I'll post more Pearl River photos later.

No comments: