Friday, May 16, 2008

Last Day in Guangzhou



Today we visited a really interesting Buddhist temple and then went to the Sun Yet San memorial hall. Our guide gave us an interesting lesson about Chinese history and I'm too tired to post the photos. This afternoon we wandered the streets of Guangzhou outside of the normal American tourist area. We found a store with bottles and bottles of snake wines. Our guide told us it is good for you - ya right! The most novel bottle was one that made the list of the 10 craziest Chinese foods - snake penis wine. Enough said.



I love watching the ingenuity that these people have when moving materials by bike. This isn't the biggest we've seen but pretty impressive. Don't try this at home.


I play for the BNA. Officially licensed material available at very good price.




How cute is that?? So far we haven't found any shoes small enough but today BINGO!! and for only $1.30.



I felt like I was walking through National Geographic again today. I didn't want to be rude and take too many photos right in peoples faces but there were many teeny little shops on the side of the street with people like these ladies making or selling things. This lady was sitting behind her sewing machine chatting with her friends. Many people were napping - anywhere they happened to stop in their shop or on the sidewalk - whatever.

Well, we're packing up. We leave the hotel tomorrow morning at 10:00 am and will land in Utah at about 4:00 pm, assuming all goes well. Pray that it will since I think if we get delayed I will be sobbing hysterically as I try to convince the airline employees that I need to get home NOW.
I have mixed emotions about taking Abby from the culture of her birth. It is an amazing country with such a long and fascinating history. It will be a whole different world for her with us - hopefully someday we can bring her back here to see it for herself. On the other hand I'm thrilled to bring her home with us. I hate that my happiness is only possible because of someone else's heartbreak but I do believe it is the best for Abby or we'd never do it. So to Abby's birthparents whereever you are - Thank you for this wonderful gift - we promise to love and take care of her forever.

We'll post more when we get home and get our heads back on straight - we're planning to video the first meeting of Abby and the kids so we'll post it on here.
Thanks so much for following our journey - for the comments, e-mails and the love and support.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Oh my heavens, that picture of the BNA made me laugh so hard! Then, your appreciation to Abby's birth-parents made me cry...what a great post!

Kristy said...

What an amazing experience for all of you! I am so looking forward to hearing all about Abby's arrival home.

Carol said...

I am anxiously awaiting pictures of your whole family together at last. :) :) :)
Also, thank you for your kind words about Philip. Your prayers for us were felt and appreciated.